Wednesday, February 2, 2011

High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T)

What is H.I.I.T?
H.I.I.T is a specialized form of interval training that involves short intervals of maximum intensity exercise separated by longer intervals of low to moderate intensity exercise. 


What are the benefits?
- H.I.I.T increases the amount of calories burned during the training session making it a time efficient option.
- Studies show that H.I.I.T preserves lean muscle mass in comparison to longer duration, steady-state exercise.
- H.I.I.T increases your metabolic rate (meaning you burn more energy) for up to 24 hours after the exercise.
- H.I.I.T is a great way to increase your fitness and (in conjunction with making good nutritional choices) reduce body fat.


So where do i start?
Put on your runners and head outside or jump on any piece of cardio equipment at the gym, making sure you warm up thoroughly for 5-10 minutes. After warming up, increase to 80-85% of your maximum effort for 20 seconds ("on" interval) followed by 40 seconds at a lower intensity (recovery interval) that is closer to 50-60% of your max. Repeat this for a total of 10 minutes. As your fitness improves, so to will the intensity of your "on" intervals and the total time you spend doing H.I.I.T, but keep in mind, if you can go for more than 20 minutes then the "on" intervals are probably not intense enough.


Variations and progressions:
- Increase the difficulty during the "on" interval in different ways. When on the treadmill, play with the speed or the incline. If using the bike or the crosstrainer, adjust the resistance level or the speed. When doing sprints in the park, make the sprints even harder by holding some weight. 
- Play with the interval time. i.e. instead of 20 seconds "on" followed by 40 seconds recovery, try 10 seconds:20 seconds or 30 seconds:60 seconds. - Keep things interesting by using different equipment and doing intervals for different activities. 
If you're easily bored, try this:
1) Warm up
2) 20 seconds skipping, 40 seconds slow, steady walking lunges. Repeat 3 times.
3) Set treadmill incline to 12 and jog for 20 seconds, then walk for 40 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
4) Jump on the rowing machine and row at 80% of your max for 20 seconds, then pause for 40 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
5) Hop back on the treadmill (incline at 0.5) and sprint at 80% of your max for 20 seconds, followed by a 40 second jog/run. 
Cool down and stretch!
Other Options:
- Try alternating between Plyometric (jumping) squats and regular squats, or do the same with lunges.
- Jump on an exercise bike and do a 30 second sprint followed by 60 seconds of crunches or a 60 second plank -hold.
- Do 10 quick burpees followed by a set of walking lunges then repeat.
- Complete 15 Plyometric squats then do a wall sit/hold (squat position against a wall) for 30-40 seconds.









No comments:

Post a Comment